Search This Blog

Monday, August 7, 2017

#13. Finally!

Well, we did it.  We finally hit the road.  After the move from hell, we spent a couple weeks at the Sparks Marina RV park.  Gave us a chance to get some things done before hitting the road.  It never really felt different than living at home...seemed pretty routine actually.  I spent my usual days gambling because that's what I do when I'm bored.  I won 90% of the time, which pays for the other 10% lol.

We talked about getting a new truck, but really don't need one.  LJ decided to drag me along on a test drive of a 1 ton dually.  He had never driven one and was curious.  He knew he wanted a GMC after talking to some guys who had Fords..no way he'd buy a Dodge, so GM it was.  Besides..he's had Fords and his last few trucks were GMCs and he loved them.  So off we went..test drive.  Nice truck.  Wrong color.  Denali which we wanted but had a lot of stuff we didn't want.  He didn't seem too interested.  We talked about it later and decided to wait and order a 2018 exactly like we want it.  Sounds like a plan.

I happened to be gambling a couple days later when we decided to hook up with Patty and Alan for dinner.  LJ was supposed to pick up Alan at 5:30, since Patty was held up at work, and meet us at Western Village at Poncho and Willies.  Fearing he fell asleep or lost track of time, I gave him a call.  Kinda went like this:
Hey, don't forget to pick up Alan.
I can't.  
Why not.
I'm at car max.  
Why?  I have my car so you're not getting that appraised.
Getting a price on my truck.  
I'm confused.
I'm just curious what they will give me for it.  
Ok, but you need to pick up Alan.
I can't.  
And you can't becausssssse...
I'm going to the GMC dealer after this and buying that truck.  
Silence...um, I'm sorry? you're what?
I searched the entire US and talked to different dealers getting bottom line prices.  Only other dealer had what I am looking for is in Utah and Idaho.  The only color available on those trucks are Black and White, neither of which I like.  I like the one here in town and they beat every one else.  
Thought you were waiting til the 2018s come out.  
I thought about it and I like this one.  It'll be cheaper than the 18s and I made a deal over the phone.  After I get an appraisal from carmax I'm going to the dealer see what they'll do.  I've already blue booked it. 
Well.... alrighty then.  Let me know how it goes.

So I go get Alan and the three of us have dinner...no LJ.  I give him a call after.  Yep, he bought it.  Bringing it home.  First time he's ever done that!  The dealer gave him a bit more than he thought he was going to get so he was happy.  Got a great price on the truck, too.  The internet and research is a wonderful thing.  So it looks like LJ got a new truck for MY birthday.  Can't wait to see what I get for his lol.  Paid cash, too.  His other truck was paid for so that helped.  It is our goal to maintain a high balance in the bank, and have no bills.  Felt good to simply write a check for the difference.

August 3rd...Now it's my actual birthday.  What do I get to do?  Pick up LJ who went to get his new hitch put in his truck.  And, whoopee!!  I get to take my car to Carmax to sell it.  We don't have the time to sell it outright and we have done our research.  I was kind of surprised LJ didn't trade it in too, but he didn't think about it.  So they make us an offer and it's close to what we would have sold it for anyway so we take it.  I have to say.  It's weird not having my own car to do what I want when I want.  But it's just crazy to follow each other around the country.  Some people do it, but that's not for us.  So..for my 62nd birthday I am officially carless and homeless...a true transient, lol.

August 5th, new trailer, new truck, new journey...we are ready to go.


Finally starting our adventure.  Hot though.  Hope we are going somewhere cooler.  OH LOOK!  cooled seats!  ahhhhhh...I like this truck lol.

Headed toward Idaho since we have to get the trailer stuff done.  Little stuff, but the dealer needs to fix it.  That appointment isn't until the 16th.  No reservations.  Friends have suggested we might have difficulty finding a park...If we do we will just keep going till we don't.  That's what Walmart parking lots are for lol.  First night we decided to drive allllll the way to Winnemucca.  Why push it lol.  We stayed at a newer place, Frontier RV Park.  Very nice.  All gravel and pavement, but it did have some grassy areas down by the dog run.  I was able to take Scooter down there to play ball.  He was a happy dog.  There was hardly anyone there.  It's too bad they don't have artificial grass at the sites, but at least it's not dusty.  All the sites are large.  They had no pull throughs available so we had to take a back in slot.  PLENTY big enough and LJ got to play with the trailer back-up camera.  We'll be back for a few days on our return trip to Reno at the end of August.  (Dr appointments and such)

Went to dinner at a local Winnemucca hotel restaurant...I want to say the Red Lion Inn, but I am most probably wrong lol.  I am so observant.  Actually a very nice dinner.  I was pleasantly surprised.

Had a great night's sleep.  Talked about staying a day or two but decided to go on into Idaho.  Besides, it looks like rain is coming.  Don't want to get the truck dirty, lol.  Weather app says no rain in Idaho or east of Winnemucca.  So lets go.
They lied.   Aw shucks .. his truck is getting dirty and he juuuust washed it.  You know if we hadn't stopped to eat Taco Bell in Elko, we probably would have missed it.


Did someone say Taco Bell?  Yes.. and you can't have any.  OK.. you can have a bite of the bean burrito..you spoiled little guy.  But we must eat in the trailer, because no food in the truck...this week.





Drove through Jackpot NV and thought about staying there for the night, but decided to check out an RV park near the dealership, do on we went.  Drove another 40 miles to the Highway 93 RV park in Filer, ID just outside Twin Falls.  The further north we got, the smokier it was.  Learned later that the Boise and Pocatello areas are even worse.  Of the four sister dealerships in Idaho, we luckily picked the one in the least smoky area.  Pure luck.

Got to the RV park around 3 Idaho time...uh oh.  They are full.  Guy even called around and no one had spots.  We were warned by FB friends, but we're good.  No worries.  Guess we'll go back to Jackpot.  We were able to reserve a spot for the week we need, so we are good.  But where to go in the meantime.  Worse case scenario we drive back to Wells.  No biggie.  We have nothing but time.

You know, we passed a sign coming into town for a Mineral Pool and Spa and RV park...Nat-Soo-Pah, whatever that means.  Lets try there.  I call while we are enroute and yippee!  They have room for us! It's midway between this place and Jackpot.  Well off the beaten path, about 3 miles off the highway, but all paved road.  It's at the dead end.  Kind of a cool place.  But they call it a resort on line so heaven knows how much they are going to charge.  Turns out they only have a few full hookups, the rest being none or electric-water only.  But they have one we can take...$25.  Park on the grass.
view from the RV window
Mature trees, grassy spots.  I like it.  It has no facilities, like a restaurant or laundry, but I don't care.  I just did laundry so we are good for 10 days and the other place we are going does.  Which reminds me...I still want to get that Washer Dryer...this is a prime example of a place I would stay a long time if I had that.  We have food and Twin Falls is close by.  Walmart is only 20 miles away.  But LJ says we will only stay one night then go back to civilization.

Next morning we both decide...nope.  Staying here until we need to move on the 13th.  It's pretty.  It's quiet.  It's shady.  We like it.  LJ admits he misjudged it at first glance.  And Scooter and I got to play ball with him off the leash because the park was pretty much empty.  I try to do that with him whenever I can.  It is just so peaceful here.  I think I'd like to put it on the list of places to come back to.

Of course we are parked next to Chatty Cathy and her husband.  They just bought the motorhome from Hell and love to tell you all about it.  Poor people didn't have a 50-30 amp reducer so had to run their generator all night.  LJ told them to ck out Walmart or the dealership and managed to get them on the right track.  This evening they are all hooked up.  I think LJ is their new best friend lol.  He goes outside and they come talk..and talk..and talk..and talk.  Deep down he enjoys it.  They have two little yorkies so Scooter made friends.

Made a Walmart run for a few little things.  Had gourmet TV dinners since neither of us was very hungry.  Now just relaxing.  It's the perfect spot, so far, for us to begin our travels.  LJ seems more relaxed than ever.  I think our freedom is finally sinking in.
Someone else seems relaxed too 💕

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations guys! We've gone by the road of your rv park but never stopped, guess we're going to have to now,it sounds awesome! Are you going to the mineral pool? Love the update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prob not since my large butt conveniently doesn't have a swimsuit on board lol. They do have a sign that says mineral water can stain some suits, so bring an old one. I simply love the quiet. Not too impressive at first, but when you look around and then sit for a bit, you appreciate what's here.

      Delete