Search This Blog

Friday, September 29, 2017

#17 Richfield Utah

To be honest I kind of dreaded this atv camp trip. I have been on this atv ride a few times in the past.  The scenery is simply spectacular.  But on previous trips we always stayed in motel rooms.  Richfield is not a very big place so I wasn't expecting much with the RV park.  I could not have been more wrong.

What a nice place.  Shady, large RV spots.  While there are a lot of atv riders here, it's relatively quiet.  The park provides you with a nice free fire pit if you buy some wood.  So we did.  Pleasant evenings around the camp fire after the boys go ride all day.  At times I wish I was going too, but I don't ride any more.  My neck and back just won't take it.  So I have been spending the days reading, playing iPad games and just relaxing.  I have become an expert on how to use my new washer/dryer lol.

pavilion
The KOA in Richfield is within driving distance from Bryce NP, Capital Reefs NP and other scenic sites.  It does have a Walmart, so it isn't all bad lol.  The KOA has tent sites with electric and water, along with little KOA cabins.  There'a a pavilion for large gatherings, a pool (only open in summer), large laundry facilities.  There are also some large RV sites with huge cement patios and a fire pit.  Some of them have extra tables and chairs for guests.  Thinking about maybe getting one of those next time.  While large, they aren't as long as some of the others, but perfect for just hanging out with a group.  This is obviously an atv oriented park.  Those particular sites have designated atv parking.  One of the advantages to staying here is you can ride all over town and directly to the trails right from the park.  The only rule is stay off the main highway.  There's a kids playground with climbing stuff and lots of grass.  A small dog park with pea gravel is available.  Benches and shade trees while you wait for snoopy to do his business.

enjoying some fresh air
There are a few restaurants in town.  LJ's favorite breakfast spot is the Little Wonder Cafe.  I wonder why he likes it so much, but he and Rich go there every morning.  There's a little ice cream shop/restaurant in town just down the street.  I didn't think the ice cream was very good.  Probably won't go there again for that.  Haven't eaten lunch there, but the boys have on a previous trip.  They said it was okay for some place different.  Of course, as with any small town, there is Arbys, Burger King and Mickey D's.

For the most part, between Kandi and I, we have cooked dinner, but we did find the most awesome Mexican restaurant ever.  It's called La Gringa Taqueria:  545 Main St., again just down the street from the KOA.  The owners emigrated from Mexico three years ago (legally) and make all the food from scratch..including the tortillas, chorizo, beans.  I have been there twice now and have ordered the bean and cheese burrito and two street tacos.  I can't order anything else because I love it so much lol.  The boys discovered the place a couple years ago.  I could literally eat there every day.  We did go one day about 3 and they were closed.  Talking to the owner, we found out they close between 3 and 5pm every day to go eat and take their siesta (just like they do in Mexico).  Keep that in mind if you go there...and I do recommend you do.

Several ok hotels for folks without an RV, but after having done both, RV is the way to go.

I look forward to coming back and staying here in Sept/Oct for the next few years.  I do recommend, if you plan on coming, you don't come during the atv rally they have every September.  This whole area is packed with people and atvs.  LJ did it once... said he prefers after the rally is over.  This time of year, the leaves are changing and the country side is beautiful.  Paiute Trail maps are available.  There is riding for all skill levels, just be sure you stay on the marked trails and refer to the trail designation to determine if it's for you or not.  The black trails are seriously only for experienced riders.

Maybe we will see you here!
cigar time after the ride



2 comments:

  1. Maybe you will see us one year. I know we've been through Richfield several times but don't think we've ever stayed at the KOA. Sounds like you're having a great time and eating well. Have you gone to breakfast? Just wondering if it's anything like the restaurant in ID with the huge plates? Mexican sounds awesome too! My favorite food! Keep us updated, love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great! We will be back next year, Sept22-Oct17th. Join us! I did go to the restaurant. It was good but I only went for one breakfast. I e had better, up the boys have their fav waitress so they go back for her lol. They also have a great pizza place, I think called lotsa motsa. It was verrrrrry good. It's just down the street, too. I hope you guys come!

      Delete